Day 6

001

Ardchattan Kirk

Ardchattan Kirk

Ardchattan Kirk opened its doors for worship for the first time on Sunday 17 September 1836. The site was donated by a local landowner, General Campbell of Lochnell, and the building cost £1,100 to complete. The cost was divided between the heritors or landowners of the parish, and when complete the building could accommodate 430 people. The grey granite and sandstone dressing used in its construction was quarried locally.

Source: Undiscovered Scotland

001

Oban Harbour

001

Oban

Oban ist eine Stadt mit 8574 Einwohnern (Stand 2011) in Argyll and Bute an der Westküste Schottlands. Sie liegt in einer Bucht, der die kleine Insel Kerrera vorgelagert ist, so dass Oban sich durch eine sehr geschützte Lage auszeichnet.

Der Ort mit heute fast städtischem Charakter war bis ins 19. Jahrhundert hinein ein kleines Fischerdorf. Mit der Dampfschiff-Ära und dem Eisenbahnanschluss per West Highland Line 1880 wuchs Oban zum Zentrum der Westküste und zum Hauptfährhafen für die Inneren und Äußeren Hebriden. Es gibt Verbindungen unter anderem zu den Inseln Mull, Colonsay,Coll, Tiree, Barra und South Uist. Im Zweiten Weltkrieg war Oban Zielhafen der EN-Geleitzüge.

******

Oban An t-Òban in Scottish Gaelic) meaning The Little Bay) is a resort town within the Argyll and Bute council area of Scotland. Despite its small size, it is the largest town between Helensburgh and Fort William. During the tourist season, the town can play host to up to 25,000 people. Oban occupies a setting in the Firth of Lorn. The bay is a near perfect horseshoe, protected by the island of Kerrera; and beyond Kerrera, the Isle of Mull. To the north, is the long low island of Lismore, and the mountains of Morvern and Ardgour.

001

 

Dunstaffnage Castle 2004

001

Dunstaffnage Castle

Dunstaffnage Castle wurde um das Jahr 1220 von Duncan Dubhgall, Sohn des Earls Somerled, auf einer großen Felsplatte mit Blick auf den Firth of Lorne in der schottischen Grafschaft Argyll, als mächtige Festung für den MacDougall-Clan errichtet. 1309 wurde Dunstaffnage von Robert the Bruce eingenommen und blieb etliche Jahre in königlichem Besitz.

Flora MacDonald wurde 1746 nach einem Besuch ihres Bruders in South Uist in Dunstaffnage inhaftiert. Sie verhalf Bonnie Prince Charlie nach dessen Niederlage bei Culloden zur Flucht vor den englischen Truppen, wurde dabei jedoch selbst gefasst. Nach einem Jahr wurde sie nach London in den Tower verbracht, wo sie noch ein weiteres Jahr auf ihre Freilassung warten musste.

Dunstaffnage Castle ist heute eine Ruine, wird jedoch noch immer von gut erhaltenen Steinmetzarbeiten geziert. Der Anbau des Schlosses befindet sich in Privatbesitz.

******

Dunstaffnage Castle is a partially ruined castle in Argyll and Bute, western Scotland. It lies 3 miles N.N.E. of Oban, situated on a platform of conglomerate rock on a promontory at the south-west of the entrance to Loch Etive, and is surrounded on three sides by the sea.

The castle dates back to the 13th century, making it one of Scotland’s oldest stone castles, in a local group which includes Castle Sween and Castle Tioram. Guarding a strategic location, it was built by the MacDougall lords of Lorn, and has been held since the 15th century by the Clan Campbell. To this day there is a hereditary Captain of Dunstaffnage, although they no longer reside at the castle. Dunstaffnage is maintained by Historic Scotland, and is open to the public, although the 16th century gatehouse is retained as the private property of the Captain. The prefix dun in the name means “fort” in Gaelic, while the rest of the name derives from Norse stafr-nis, “headland of the staff”.

001

 

Dunstaffnage Castle 2004

Dunstaffnage Castle

Dunstaffnage Castle wurde um das Jahr 1220 von Duncan Dubhgall, Sohn des Earls Somerled, auf einer großen Felsplatte mit Blick auf den Firth of Lorne in der schottischen Grafschaft Argyll, als mächtige Festung für den MacDougall-Clan errichtet. 1309 wurde Dunstaffnage von Robert the Bruce eingenommen und blieb etliche Jahre in königlichem Besitz.

Flora MacDonald wurde 1746 nach einem Besuch ihres Bruders in South Uist in Dunstaffnage inhaftiert. Sie verhalf Bonnie Prince Charlie nach dessen Niederlage bei Culloden zur Flucht vor den englischen Truppen, wurde dabei jedoch selbst gefasst. Nach einem Jahr wurde sie nach London in den Tower verbracht, wo sie noch ein weiteres Jahr auf ihre Freilassung warten musste.

Dunstaffnage Castle ist heute eine Ruine, wird jedoch noch immer von gut erhaltenen Steinmetzarbeiten geziert. Der Anbau des Schlosses befindet sich in Privatbesitz.

******

Dunstaffnage Castle is a partially ruined castle in Argyll and Bute, western Scotland. It lies 3 miles N.N.E. of Oban, situated on a platform of conglomerate rock on a promontory at the south-west of the entrance to Loch Etive, and is surrounded on three sides by the sea.

The castle dates back to the 13th century, making it one of Scotland’s oldest stone castles, in a local group which includes Castle Sween and Castle Tioram. Guarding a strategic location, it was built by the MacDougall lords of Lorn, and has been held since the 15th century by the Clan Campbell. To this day there is a hereditary Captain of Dunstaffnage, although they no longer reside at the castle. Dunstaffnage is maintained by Historic Scotland, and is open to the public, although the 16th century gatehouse is retained as the private property of the Captain. The prefix dun in the name means “fort” in Gaelic, while the rest of the name derives from Norse stafr-nis, “headland of the staff”.

001

 

 

Advertisements