Day 1

001

Commando Memorial

The Commando Memorial is amonument in Scotland, dedicated to the men of the original British Commando Forces raised during World War II. Situated around a mile from Spean Bridge village, it overlooks the training areas of the Commando Training Depot established in 1942 at Achnacarry Castle. Unveiled in 1952 by the Queen Mother, it has become one of Scotland’s best-known monuments, both as a war memorial and as a tourist attraction offering views of Ben Nevis and Aonach Mòr.

******

Das Commando Memorial ist ein Kriegerdenkmal an der A82 zwei Kilometer nordwestlich von Spean Bridge in Schottland. Es wurde 1952 durch Queen Mum zu Ehren der britischen Commandos des Zweiten Weltkriegs enthüllt. Das Denkmal liegt auf dem Weg vom Bahnhof Spean Bridge nach Achnacarry, wo während des Krieges die Ausbildung der Commandos stattfand. Durch seine Lage oberhalb von Spean Bridge am Rande des Great Glen bietet es eine gute Aussicht auf den Ben Nevis und die umliegenden Berge.

Auf der Gedenktafel am Sockel des Denkmals steht: „In memory of the officers and men of the commandos who died in the Second World War 1939–1945. This country was their training ground.“

001

 

Duncansburgh Macintosh Parish Church

001

This church was used until 1882 when it became the town hall [ where today you will find the tourist information / cinema building].

Formerly, the shores of Loch Linnhe were inhabited by crofters and fishermen whose families crossed by boat to worship in Kilmallie Church. Kilmallie was the largest parish in Scotland. Although served by a minister with the help of missionaries, the spiritual care of the people in such a vast area was never easy. For example, in 1793 there were 9 preaching stations, but the parish had been without a settled minister for 50 years. A new problem arose with the growth of the town, first called Maryburgh, but now known as Fort William. This grew up around the Fort built in 1692. It developed by trading with the garrison and its population rose about 1800 by the influx of neighbouring people who had been dispossessed of their lands.

First, a tiny church was built inside the Fort which served the garrison. To this church the townspeople also came, although some, especially Gaelic speakers, continued to cross to Kilmallie. From 1692 an army chaplain stationed at the Fort ministered to the townspeople. There was sometimes difficulty in finding as acceptable minister, as he had to take an oath of loyalty to King George and be able to preach in “Irish”. Later, Fort William became a mission church with its own minister, but without parish status.

When stone buildings were allowed to be erected in Maryburgh to supersede the early wooden ones, a church was built where the Argyll Hotel later stood with a graveyard crossing what is now the High Street. In time this church proved too small and “all the townspeople were for building a new church.” It was built in 1792 by the Duke of Gordon [then the superior] and the inhabitants.

Earlier last century Sir Duncan Cameron of Fassifern, who had become a superior, tried unsuccessfully to rename the town Duncansburgh. The name continued only in the name of the new parish of Duncansburgh which was created out of Kilmallie parish in 1861. Duncansburgh has remained the name of the church and parish out of gratitude to Sir Duncan Cameron who generously provided the necessary endowment before the quod sacra parish could be erected.

By 1878 the church of 1792 was proving too small on account of the eloquent preaching of Mr MacQuarrie and the influx of summer visitors. Few in number, but strong in faith and clear in vision, the congregation decided to raise £5000 to build a church and manse – the church to seat 600 possible 900, if a gallery were later added, although at that time there were less than 200 communicants. Generous help came from the Home Mission Committee of the Church of Scotland and from well-wishers who organised a two day bazaar in Glasgow. As a result the present church was opened or August 1882 when the church leader Professor Charteris preached in English, and Mr Watson of Kiltearn in Gaelic. Built of Ballachulish granite faced free stone the building was described in glowing terms by the ” Oban Times”

“Certainly”, it wrote, “the congregation and the Church of Scotland as a whole are to be heartily congratulated on a movement which in the short space of three years, has resulted in putting them in possession of what may in many respects be said to be the finest ecclesiastical structure of any denomination of the West Coast”.

A 12cwt bell was hung in the tower, the windows were fitted, two of them with stained glass, the remainder with cathedral glass. This bell is rung each Sunday morning prior to worship.

Originally the church had a central pulpit. This was replaced in 1905 by the present pulpit and lectern in Austrian Oak, gifted in memory of Duncan MacNiven, an elder for 31yrs. In 1906 a fine organ, built to the specification of Dr Hollins, the blind Edinburgh organist, was installed. Other gifts followed across the years to enrich the sanctuary, notably a series of stained glass windows. In 1961 the pews were removed from the transepts, the chancel area enlarged and a hand wrought iron organ screen erected. At this time a new Communion Table and choir chairs were donated.

In the 1890’s the house next door to the church was purchased as a manse This was replaced on the same site by the present manse built by congregation in 1936. Another big congregational effort was the building of the hall, completed in 1900.

Over the main entrance door to the church is carved the burning bush the church’s motto “Nec tamen consumebatur”.

*******

Die Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church Fort William ist eine Kirche im Zentrum von Fort William, sie befindet sich direkt beim Alexandra Hotel an der Parade, dem zentralen Rasenplatz in Fort William. Daher ist die Kirche auch erwähnenswert, sie fällt den meisten Besuchern auf und wird relativ häufig fotografiert.

Die Kirche nennt sich nach der Fusion von Duncansburgh und MacIntrosh Memorial seit 2007 Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church.

Die Geschichte der Duncansburgh Church geht etwas weiter zurück. Einst war die Region um Loch Linnhe vor allem von Handwerkern und Fischern besiedelt. Zur Messe musste man sich auf den Weg zur Kilmallie Church machen, Kilmallie war damals eine der größten Kirchengemeinden Schottlands.

Die Versorgung der Menschen war damals aber mehr als schwer, um 1793 hatte man zwar 9 Preaching Stations, aber seit über 50 Jahren keinen Geistlichen mehr. Ein weiteres Problem erwuchs durch das schnelle Wachstum der Ortschaft Maryburgh (heute bekannt als Fort William). Maryburgh wurde um das Fort ab 1692 erbaut. Durch regen Handel mit der Garnison im Fort wuchs die Bevölkerungszahl schnell an.

Anfangs wurde im Fort eine kleine Kirche betrieben, die vor allem die Garnison bediente. Einige Leute aus dem Ort kamen zwar auch hierher, aber das gälisch sprechende Volk nahm weiterhin den langen Weg nach Kilmallie auf sich. Ab 1692 kümmerte sich im Fort ein Armeekaplan um die Leute im Fort und im Ort. Einen richtigen Pfarrer zu finden war damals wohl etwas schwerer, immerhin musste der eine Art Treueeid gegenüber König George ablegen und außerdem in damaligen Irish predigen.

In Fort William bzw. Maryburgh änderte sich einiges, als man die ersten Steingebäude erstellte bzw. erstellen durfte. Schnell wurden die alten Holzhäuser ersetzt und nahe des späteren Argyll Hotel wurde die erste Kirche, der Vorläufer der Duncansburgh Church, gebaut. Der Friedhof verlief über die Straße, welche heute die High Street von Fort William bildet. Diese Kirche war aber bald zu klein und um 1792 wurde eine neue Kirche durch den Duke Of Gordon und die Einwohner erbaut. Diese zweite Kirche war bis 1882 in Gebrauch und wurde danach zur Gemeindehalle. Heute steht an der Stelle die Tourist Info bzw. das Kino.

Interessant für die Geschichte der Duncansburgh Church ist die Person des Sir Duncan Cameron of Fassifern. Der versuchte gegen Ende der 1800er den Ort Maryburgh in Duncansburgh umzubenennen. Das gelang ihm zwar nicht, aber immerhin bekam die neue Kirchengemeinde den Namen Duncansburgh, diese Gemeinde wurde 1861 aus der Kirchengemeinde von Kilmallie herausgelöst.

Die Geschichte der heutigen Duncansburgh Church begann offiziell um 1882. Wie oben erwähnt, wurde die zweite Kirche von 1792 zu klein. Man sammelte Gelder und plante eine recht große Kirche, die theoretisch ein Vielfaches der damaligen Gemeindemitglieder hätte aufnehmen können. Hilfe bekam man vom Home Mission Committee der Church Of Scotland und Erträgen zweier Flohmärkte in Glasgow. Im August 1882 öffnete die heutige Duncansburgh Church ihre Pforten – gepredigt wurde sowohl in englisch als auch in gälisch.

Der Bau wurde aber später in einigen Teilen geändert. So gab es früher eine zentrale Kanzel, welche 1905 geändert wurde. 1906 erhielt die Kirche eine Orgel, die nach Wünschen des blinden Organisten Dr. Hollins aus Edinburgh gebaut wurde. Später wurden einige Teile gestiftet, erwähnenswert sind hier einige Buntglasfenster. 1961 wurden Sitze aus dem Querschiff entfernt und dafür der Bereich der Kanzel erweitert, eine neue Kommunionstafel und Chorstühle gestiftet.

Seit 2007 fusionierte die Kirche, wie eingangs erwähnt, mit der MacIntosh Memorial zur Duncansburgh MacIntosh Church. Der Pfarrer von Duncansburgh wurde zum Pfarrer der neuen Gemeinde, zu der auch die Kilmonivaig Church in Spean Bridge gehört.

 

001

 

 

Old Inverlochy Castle

001

Inverlochy Castle is a ruined, 13th-century castle near Inverlochy and Fort William, Highland, Scotland. The site of two battles, the castle remains largely unchanged since its construction. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland.

******

Inverlochy Castle was built circa 1270-1280 by John “the Black” Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and Lochaber, and chief of the Clan Comyn. It may have been built on the site of an earlierPictish fortification and settlement, which the historian Hector Boece (1465-1536) records as a “city” that was destroyed by Vikings.[1] When Robert the Bruce succeeded to the Scottish throne in 1306, the Comyns, his rivals for the crown, were dispossessed, and the castle was unoccupied for a time.[1] In 1431, clansmen of Alexander MacDonald, Lord of the Isles, defeated King James I’s larger army in the first Battle of Inverlochy, fought close by the castle. It came under control of the Clan Cameron until 1501.

In 1505, the partially ruined castle was granted to Alexander Gordon, 3rd Earl of Huntly, who was charged by King James IV with repairing the castle for use as a Royal garrison.[1] His brother William Gordon, Laird of Gight, became master of Inverlochy, and was slain commanding the Camerons at Flodden. In 1645, the castle served as a stopping-off point for theroyalist army of James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose during his campaign against the Covenanter forces of the Marquess of Argyll. This culminated in a victory for the royalists in the second Battle of Inverlochy, on February 2, 1645. In the 19th century, the estate was bought by James Scarlett, 1st Baron Abinger, who built a Scottish baronial style mansion to the north-west, which is now the Inverlochy Castle Hotel. Minor enhancements, including the restoration of loops and battlements, were carried out by Lord Abinger in advance of the visit of Queen Victoria in 1873.

001

 

 

Glen Nevis

 

001

 

Glen Nevis (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Nibheis) is a glen in Lochaber, Highland, Scotland, with Fort William at its foot. It is bordered to the south by the Mamore range, and to the north by the highest mountains in the British Isles: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mor Dearg, Aonach Mòr, and Aonach Beag. It is home to one of the three highest waterfalls in Scotland, Steall Falls, where the Allt Coire a’Mhail joins the Water of Nevis in the glen. Below the waterfall is a steeply walled and impressive gorge.

A public road runs for 10 km up the Glen, becoming single track after 7 km. There is a hotel, Scottish Youth Hostels Association hostel, and campsite at the bottom of the glen, near Fort William, and a small hamlet further up at Achriabhach.

From the car park at the end of the Glen Nevis road, a path continues through a gorge. After a scramble up this rocky path, the view opens up and the path leads into the peaceful upper glen. A wire bridge crosses to the base of the waterfall. Built by the famous Engineer Tom Russell while in training for the british army Royal Engineers as a HAT. This bridge was closed for three months in 2010 when one of the cables snapped.

The path has been improved periodically to ease access and to reduce the damaging effects of soil erosion caused by many walkers, but it remains challenging in places, and as the sign at the car park warns, potentially fatal. There have been several accidents in Glen Nevis, including the death of a young walker in August 2006.

Several films have been shot in Glen Nevis, including some scenes from the Harry Potter movies, Highlander, Highlander III: The Sorcerer, Braveheart and Rob Roy.

******

Das Glen Nevis (gälisch Gleann Nibheis) ist ein Tal (glen) in den schottischen Highlands. Es liegt in der Council Area Highland südöstlich von Fort William am Fuße des Ben Nevis. Es wird vom River Nevis durchflossen, der bei Fort William in die Meeresbucht Loch Linnhe mündet. Das Glen Nevis ist ein beliebtes Wandergebiet für Touristen. Ausgangspunkt für Besuche ist Fort William.
Das Glen Nevis gliedert sich in zwei größere Abschnitte, die durch eine enge Schlucht getrennt sind. Der untere Abschnitt verläuft auf etwa 10 km Länge westlich und südlich des Ben Nevis. In diesem Abschnitt liegen unter anderem die Jugendherberge von Fort William und das von der Council Area eingerichtete Glen Nevis Visitor Centre. Bis zum Ende dieses Talabschnitts verläuft eine schmale Single track road. Das Tal verengt sich dann zur River Nevis Gorge, der River Nevis hat sich hier tief in die Felsen eingegraben.
Aufgrund seiner landschaftlichen Schönheit ist das Tal ein beliebtes Ausflugs- und Wanderziel. Es wurde daher auch wiederholt als Drehort für Filme genutzt, so für einige Harry-Potter-Filme sowie für die Filme Highlander – Es kann nur einen geben, Highlander III – Die Legende, Braveheart und Rob Roy.

001

001

St. Andrews Episcopal Church

 

The first Episcopal church building was erected on this site in 1817.  It was known as the Rosse Chapel, after the Countess of Rosse who was largely responsible for its being built. By 1876 it was in a bad state of repair and the future looked blank until George Baynton Davey had the building demolished and replaced, very largely at his own expense, by the present St Andrew’s.  It is built of Abriachan granite, with a roof of Cumberland slate, and was designed by Dr Alexander Ross, of Inverness.  The church was consecrated on 9 Sept 1880.  Known as the “Queen of Highland Churches” it is a Category A listed building.

*******

Die erste hier errichtete Kirche stammte aus dem Jahr 1817 und war als Rosse Chapel bekannt. Die Kapelle verdankte ihren Namen ihrer Geldgeberin der Duchess of Rosse.
Bereits knappe siebzig Jahre später (1876) war das Gebäude in einem dermaßen schlechten Zustand, dass es abgerissen werden musste und durch die heutige Kirche ersetzt wurde.
Die St. Andrews Episcopal Church besteht aus Granit und geht auf Entwürfe von Dr. Alexander Ross zurück.
Sie wurde am 09. September als “Queen of the Highland Churches” geweiht.

001

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s