Day 4

Castle Tioram

001

Castle Tioram

Castle Tioram (sprich Tschi-ram, aus dem schottisch-gälischen Caisteal Tioram, was in etwa trockene Burg bedeutet,) ist eine Burgruine am Loch Moidart, Lochaber, Highlands, Schottland, die auf einem schmalen Landstück liegt, das bei Flut die Insel Eilean Tioram bildet. Es liegt westlich von Acharacle, ungefähr 80 km von Fort William. Die Burg selbst befindet sich etwas abseits des offenen Atlantiks und kontrolliert den Zugang zum inneren Loch Moidart und zum Loch Shiel.

******

Castle Tioram is a ruined castle that sits on the tidal island Eilean Tioram in Loch Moidart, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. It is located west of Acharacle, approximately 80 km (50 mi) from Fort William. Though hidden from the sea, the castle controls access to Loch Shiel. It is also known to the locals as “Dorlin castle”

The castle—a listed building and scheduled ancient monument—is the traditional seat of Clan MacDonald of Clan Ranald, a branch of Clan Donald. Castle Tioram was seized by Government forces around 1692 when Clan Chief Allan of Clanranald joined the Jacobite Court in France, despite having sworn allegiance to the British Crown. A small garrison was stationed in the castle until the Jacobite Uprising of 1715 when Allan recaptured and torched it, purportedly to keep it out of the hands of Hanoverian forces. It has been unoccupied since that time, although there are some accounts suggesting it was partially inhabited thereafter including storage of firearms from the De Tuillay in the 1745 Jacobite Uprising and Lady Grange’s account of her kidnapping.

 

001

Loch Shiel

Loch Shiel

Loch Shiel (schottisch-gälisch Loch Seile) ist ein Süßwassersee im schottischen Hochland. Er liegt in der Council Area Highland etwa 20 Kilometer westlich von Fort William. Gemessen an der Größe der Wasseroberfläche ist Loch Shiel der siebtgrößte See Schottlands.

******

Loch Shiel (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Seile) is an 11.3 miles long freshwater loch, 120 m (393 ft) deep, situated 12.4 miles west of Fort William in Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. Its nature changes considerably along its length, being deep and enclosed by mountains in the north east and shallow surrounded by bog and rough pasture in the south west, from which end the 4 km River Shiel drains to the sea in Loch Moidart near Castle Tioram.

Loch Shiel should not be confused with Glen Shiel, 40 km further north in Skye and Lochalsh, which contains a longer River Shiel and a much smaller Loch Shiel.

001

Glenfinnan Monument

Glenfinnan Monument

Glenfinnan Monument, at the head of Loch Shiel, was erected, in 1815, in tribute to the Jacobite clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart.

It was designed by the eminent Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham. The raising of the Prince’s Standard took place at the head of the loch on 19 August, 1745, in the last attempt to reinstate the exiled Stuarts on the throne of Great Britain and Ireland.

Despite its inspired beginnings and subsequent successes, the Prince’s campaign came to its grim conclusion in 1746 on the battlefield at Culloden (see separate entry), also in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

******

Zur Erinnerung an die stuarttreuen Clans, die für ihren Prinzen Bonnie Prince Charlie’kämpften und starben, wurde im Jahr 1815 das GlenfinnanMonument errichtet.
An der Stelle, an der sich heute das Monument befindet, trafen sich am 19. August 1745 etwa 1.500 Männer der verschiedensten Clans, um zusammen mit dem Prinzen und für Schottlands Freiheit ins Gefecht zu ziehen.
In dem ganz in der nähe gelegenen Visitor Centre kann man in mehreren Sprachen, etwas über die Geschichte des Jakobitenaufstandes erfahren, welcher den Prinzen und seine Männer von Glenfinnan bis nach Derby (England), und dann wieder zurück zur letzten Schlacht nach Culloden führte.

 

001

Saint Mary & Saint Finnan Catholic Church

Glenfinnan Church

Die St. Finnans Catholic Church befindet sich nur ca. 500 m vom Glenfinnan Monument entfernt auf einem kleinen Hügel. Sie dürfte vor allem den Highlander-Serien-Fans sehr bekannt vorkommen, da sie in der Folge ‘Homeland/Zurück zu den Wurzeln’ als Kulisse genutzt wurde. Schließlich und endlich hatte es sich ja Kanwulf der Wikinger in dieser Kirche gemütlich gemacht. Ein besonderes Merkmal der St. Finnan’s Church ist der fehlende Glockenturm. Die Glocke ist unweit der Kirche auf dem Außengelände unter einer kleinen angebracht.

******

The church stands immediately to the south west of the A830 “Road to the Isles” as it climbs from the Glenfinnan Monument at the head of Loch Shiel towards Glenfinnan Station. There is a spacious parking area next to the church, and from there it is a very short stroll to the church itself.

001

Castle Stalker

Castle Stalker

Castle Stalker (Schottisch-Gälisch: Caisteal an Stalcaire) ist ein Tower house, etwa 2,5 Kilometer nordöstlich von Port Appin, einem Dorf in Argyll and Bute in Schottland. Die Niederungsburg steht auf einer kleinen, felsigen Gezeiteninsel im Loch Laich, einer Bucht des Loch Linnhe, etwa auf halbem Weg zwischen Oban und dem Glen Coe in den westlichen schottischen Highlands. Sie ist mit dem Boot, bei Ebbe auch zu Fuß zu erreichen.

Der Name der Burg leitet sich vom schottisch-gälischen an Stalcaire ab, was entweder „Jäger“ oder „Falkner“ bedeutet. Es sollte daher auch “stalker” ausgesprochen werden (und nicht wie im Englischen “stocker”).

******

Castle Stalker (Scottish Gaelic: Caisteal an Stalcaire) is a four-storey tower house or keep picturesquely set on a tidal islet on Loch Laich, an inlet off Loch Linnhe. It is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north-east of Port Appin, Argyll, Scotland, and is visible from the A828 road about mid-way between Oban and Glen Coe. The islet is accessible (with difficulty) from the shore at low tide. The name “Stalker” comes from the Gaelic Stalcaire, meaning “hunter” or “falconer”.

In recent times, the castle was brought to fame by the Monty Python team, appearing in their film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

001

Glencoe

001

Glencoe

Glen Coe (gälisch Gleann Comhann) ist ein Tal (glen) in den schottischen Highlands. Es liegt in den Unitary Authorities Highland und Argyll and Bute. Einziges Dorf am Talausgang ist Glencoe, das nächstgelegene Unterzentrum ist Ballachulish. Der Fluss Coe mündet hier in die Meeresbucht Loch Leven , einen Seitenarm des Loch Linnhe. Der Glen Coe ist ein beliebtes Wander- und Skigebiet für Touristen. Ausgangspunkt für Besuche ist oft das nahegelegene Fort William, verbunden mit dem Glen Coe über die A 82.

******

Glen Coe (Scottish Gaelic: Gleann Comhan, pronounced [klan̪ˠˈkʰo.ən̪ˠ]) is a glen of volcanic origins, in the Highlands of Scotland. It lies in the southern part of the Lochaber committee area of Highland Council, and was formerly part of the county of Argyll. It is often considered one of the most spectacular and beautiful places in Scotland, and is a part of the designated National Scenic Area of Ben Nevis and Glen Coe. The narrow glen shows a grim grandeur. The glen, approaching from the east on the main A82 road, is surrounded by wild and precipitous mountains. Further west at Invercoe, the landscape has a softer beauty before the main entrance to the glen. The main settlement is the nearby village of Glencoe located at the foot of the valley.

The name Glen Coe is often said to mean “Glen of Weeping”, perhaps with some reference to the infamous Massacre of Glencoe which took place there in 1692. However, “Gleann Comhann” does not translate as “Glen of Weeping”. In fact the Glen is named after the River Coe which runs through it, and bore this name long before the 1692 incident. The name of the river is believed to predate the Gaelic language and its meaning is not known. It is possible that the name stems from an individual personal name, Comhan (gen. Comhain).

001

Loch Leven

001

 

Loch Leven ist ein Seitenarm (sea loch) der Meeresbucht Loch Linnhe. Er liegt an der Westküste Schottlands im Bezirk (Council Area) Highland und ehemaligen Distrikt Lochaber. Der Loch bildete eine natürliche Grenze zwischen denehemaligen Grafschaften Inverness-shire im Norden und Argyll im Süden.

Der Loch Leven hat eine Längenausdehnung von etwa 17 km,[1] bei einer Breite von 90 m bis 1,6 km. Die einzigen Ortschaften an seinem Ufer sind Ballachulish, Glencoe und Kinlochleven am Kopf der Bucht, an dem es reichhaltige Aluminiumvorkommen gab.

Am Südufer erstreckt sich das Massiv des Aonach Eagach, westlich dessen das Glen Coe mündet, ein Tal in den Glen Coe Mountains, das 1692 traurige Berühmtheit durch das Massaker von Glencoe erlangte. Einem größeren Publikum wurde derFjord durch die dort gedrehten Filmaufnahmen zu Blockbuster wie Braveheart oder Rob Roy zumindest visuell bekannt.

******

Loch Leven (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Liobhann)[1] ‘is a sea loch on the west coast of Scotland. It is spelled Loch Lyon in Timothy Pont’s map of the area[2] and is pronounced Li’ un. The local Gaelic pronunciation is Lee’ oon.
Loch Leven extends 8 3⁄4 miles (14.1 km), varying in width between 220 yards (200 m) and just over 1 mile (1.6 km). It opens onto Camus a’ Chois at North Ballachulish, part of Loch Linnhe at its western end. There are nine small islands, some rocky and covered with heather and some just smooth green grass, near the western end of the loch.

001

******

Loch Linnhe

001

Loch Linnhe (/lɒx ˈlɪni/ is a sea loch on the west coast of Scotland. The part upstream of Corran is known in Gaelic as An Linne Dhubh (the black pool, originally known as Loch Abar), and downstream as An Linne Sheileach (the salty pool). The name Linnhe is derived from the Gaelic word linne, meaning “pool”.

******

Loch Linnhe ist eine Meeresbucht (sea loch zur Unterscheidung von loch für Binnensee) in den Highlands an der Westküste Schottlands.
Loch Linnhe hat eine Länge von etwa 50 Kilometer und eine stark variierende, sich zunehmend verjüngende Breite. An seinem südwestlichen Ende öffnet er sich in den Firth of Lorn. Die Stadt Fort William liegt an seinem nordöstlichen Ende, wo der Fluss Lochy mündet. Bei Ballachulish zweigt in östliche Richtung der Loch Leven als Nebenarm vom Linnhe ab und führt über knapp 20 km bis nach Kinlochleven. Seit 1975 spannt sich über die Enge der beiden Lochs die Ballachulish Bridge und ist die A82 durchgängig bis Fort William und Inverness befahrbar.
Der Loch Linnhe ist vermutlich mit dem bei Ptolemäus erscheinenden Fluss Longos identisch

001

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s